The Ministry of Data (MoD) hosts hackathons to solve the most curious technological problems faced by Government agencies. Open to developers, start-ups, entrepreneurs, data aficionados, business analytics, and innovators for a better world, a MoD Hackathon is an opportunity to solve a real validated problem and deliver a product that has great market product fit.
Announcing EnergyHackEnergyHack is a one-day creative problem-solving event hosted by Xero, Alphabeta and Ministry of Data.
Happening on Saturday, 16 November 2019, EnergyHack is looking for new and exciting ways to help small businesses save money on their energy spend.
During the event you will be able to access data never before seen Xero data on small business energy usage. Here's a preview.
The ChallengesBuilding on the open data snapshots linked below, you can help solve one or more of these problems:
Challenge 1Small businesses pay comparatively more for energy than any other consumer group - partly because they lack the time, knowledge and information to investigate better energy deals. Can you create a prototype for an app that can help small businesses reduce their energy spend?
Challenge 2Small businesses vary greatly in the type of work they do, and consequently, the amount of energy they consume. Using the SBEC open data snapshot or other data sources, can you create a prototype for an app or service that can help small businesses reduce their energy consumption?
Challenge 3Historically, energy-efficient products have not targeted the small business market because of a lack of data on which small businesses spend the most on energy. Using the SBEC open data snapshot, can you create a way to optimise the identification of which small business segments energy efficient products or services should be marketed to?
Data Sets1. Small Business Energy Check (SBEC) - Xero data on small business energy usage.
2. Australian Energy Statistics - Find a number of tables detailing various aspects of Australia’s energy supply and consumption in aggregate and at the State/Territory level.
3. Australian Petroleum Statistics - Find data on oil, petroleum and data.
4. National Energy Analytics Research Program (NEAR) - Find a number of NEAR databases relating to energy use at the substation level, and drivers of energy use.
BEST YOUNG TEAM
Free 6 Month Bloom Membership
About Ministry of Data
- We are a bridge to government for existing initiatives and startups.
- Ministry of Data provides qualified government agency problems to the innovator and startup community that can have global impact.
- We provide access to pathways to accelerate solution commercialisation through some of Perth’s finest accelerator programs.